It’s January, so naturally, we’re inundated with resolutions, intentions, goals, vision boarding, whatever flavor resonates with you.
In creating a vision for 2022, what is it you want to achieve? It’s the question on many a mind, and if you’re reading this post, it’s likely on your mind too. Here are three ways I like to create a vision.
1. Choose one word for 2022
Over the past four years, I’ve chosen one word I’d like to embody throughout the year. For example, in December of 2019, I chose the word Surrender. No kidding, right? As someone who loves to have a plan, and was stuck in linear thinking for years, Surrender was a choice to surrender to how my path was unfolding without trying to control it. Then the pandemic hit and suddenly I was surrendering on a whole other level. Over and over throughout the year, I’d be reminded I chose the word to surrender to the flow of life as it was, not how I thought it “should” go.
What energy do you want to embody for the year? Some examples are: Connected, Community, Vulnerability, Authenticity, Surrender, Trust, Curiosity, Unleashed, Action, Flow, Play, Strength? Choose one that feels good or comes to mind immediately and run with it!
2. Use a yearly planner to create a vision for your future.
There’s a myriad of yearly planners out there designed to help you create your year. Find one that pulls toward your style. These planners walk you through every aspect of your life asking you to take the time to sit down and dream.
Dream big. Even if it seems completely out of reach and impossible.
If you want to keep it simple without investing in a planner, here’s a series of questions you can ask yourself:
- If I had all the money needed to cover my lifestyle, how would I be spending my time?
3. What are the top 5 energies you want to embody this year?
This is where you create who you want to be in the coming year and beyond. The important thing to remember is that you are creating yourself from the inside. Another way to do this exercise is to ask the question “What are my values?”
Like the one word for a year, these energies can be a whole host of different words and combinations including but not limited to: Magnetic, Elegant, Thriving, Playful, Empathetic, Vulnerable, Loving, Connected, Contribution, Open, Heart-Centered, Adventurous, Limitless, Fun, Grateful, Abundant, Flow, Ease-filled, VIP, Opulent, Spiritual, Integrity, Creative.
Now, are you wondering…and how exactly do I do this? How do I know what my life would look like if I had all the money I need? How do I want to be in the coming year? What!?
Totally normal. If you aren’t used to writing down a vision for your life, these exercises can be unsettling, and the first time I did these several years ago I stared at a blank page for quite a while. Here are my suggestions for making it easier to unearth the creativity within:
- Choose the one that seems the easiest for you right now.
- Use meditation to get centered and quiet the mind. If you don’t have a meditation practice, go to Youtube, Spotify or find an app with short guided meditations to help get you out of your head.
- Don’t want to meditate? Breathwork can get out of your head, and box breathing for 4 rounds is a simple tool: Inhale for 4 counts, hold for 4 counts, exhale for 4 counts, hold the bottom of the exhale for 4 counts, then repeat the cycle.
- Remember you can change it throughout the year! A month from now, it doesn’t feel right? Do the exercise again, see what comes up. This is all a practice.